Contributed by Sandy Kittel
Created by John Gulbranson 1981
1-1/2 cups flour Filling:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4-5 tablespoons cold water
8 ounces bacon, diced
8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded or small-chopped slices
1 pint half & half
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir flour and salt together in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry tool until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle water on mixture one tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork each time, until all is moistened (may not use all 5 tablespoons).
- Form dough into a ball. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/4“ thick and slightly larger than the diameter of the quiche cooking dish (10-12”).
- Press into the quiche dish.
- Pre-bake for 5 minutes only at 325°.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble – reserve 2 tablespoons. Place remaining bacon and cheese in pie shell.
- Beat eggs in a bowl then add half & half, flour, salt, and nutmeg, whisk until blended. Pour over bacon and cheese in pie shell. Trim with reserved bacon.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes at 325° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes to allow settling before serving
* I'm pretty sure this recipe is the reason Dustin asked me to marry him.
This recipe is easy and makes you look like a 4 star chef. If he knew then
what he knows now, he would have realized that was the only thing I could
From The John Gulbranson Family in Niceville FL!
1 pint half & half
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1-2 tablespoon chopped onion (dehydrated onion will work in a pinch)
1 small tomato
1/4 pounds cooked ham
3-6 ounces swiss cheese (depending on taste)
salt and pepper, to taste
- To prevent excess liquid in the finished product, place tomato slices on a paper towel before chopping, sprinkle lightly with salt, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a bowl then add half & half, parsley, and onion, whisk until blended.
- Cut tomato in half and squeeze seeds out, discard seeds.
- Chop tomato, cooked ham, and swiss cheese into small pieces.
- Combine tomato, ham, cheese, salt, and pepper into egg mixture.
- Lightly grease a quiche or large pie baking dish with vegetable oil spray and pour in combined ingredients.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes at 400° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes to allow settling before serving.